It’s A New Year. What Will You Make Happen?
Start 2017 strong by deciding what what you want to create – Create a Powerful Vision … Then Take ACTION!
Do not wait. The time will never be just right. Start where you stand and work with whatever tools you may have at your command and better tools will be found as you go along.
– Napoleon Hill
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.
A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.
– W.N. Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
– Johan Wolfgang von Goethe
In the fast-paced world in which we live, accelerated change and uncertainty are the defining features of modern life and business. Accepted business models for success are proving vulnerable and pressure is building for many established organizations and corporate giants as their historic advantages of scale and efficiency are no match against the benefits of agility and quick adaptations. Characteristics of organizations and individuals who will thrive best in this environment include: embracing adaptability and flexibility; openness to learning from anywhere; decisiveness combined with agility and awareness that (business) life can shift radically.
In this issue, we highlight strategies to strengthen your personal leadership and support you in gaining personal and professional fulfillment.
Success in any area of life favours the prepared, the focused and the committed. Creating a great year begins with a well-conceived personal vision with goals set in congruence with your values, vision, talent and resources. It is possible to accelerate your progress and to achieve more in one year than you have in the past 10 years if you have clear goals, a focused albeit flexible plan, and supporting relationships. Some essential action steps are:
- Identify your core values to get clear on what’s most important for you at this phase of life.
- Clarify your passions and emotionally connect to your values and passions.
- Create a powerful vision for what you want to achieve in 2013.
- Set and achieve goals related to your career, business, finances, health, relationships and more.
- Develop yourself – mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
- Identify your dominant strengths and talents and skillfully develop them.
- Let go of negative feelings, speech patterns, painful past experiences and other things that keep you stuck.
- For each goal, build a support team to help you reach the “next level” of success.
- Nurture your relationships. They are essential for your health, happiness and well-being. Identify key individuals in your personal and professional life and commit to doing your part to building enjoyable, productive and fulfilling relationships with them. Sustaining your success is always a team effort and dependent in part, on how well you connect with others.
- Expand your network. Keep reaching out to others and enlarge your perspectives on life and work.
- Expand your time. Take a look at what you do on an hourly, daily, monthly basis and evaluate how best to spend your time. It’s your most valuable resource. Don’t waste it!
- See the possibilities in the present. No matter how constrained your current situation appears to be, there are always opportunities for advancement, no matter how small. Seize them!
- And finally: Make 2017 YOUR best year yet.